Who are we? What do we do around here? We are just a bunch of animal loving country folk. We have chickens, goats, ducks, dogs, cats, and lots of squirrels and rabbits running around. We plan to expand and add bees and dairy goats. Running a family farm is a lot of work but so rewarding. We just thought we’d share a little of us with you! We hope you enjoy this little clip. If you want to come see us send us a message. 😊
It’s that time of year again. The kids are studying life cycles and we are hatching eggs in the classroom. We set 18 eggs in a teacher friends classroom and also set 22 at home. Such an exciting time for us all. The kids love watching the chicks develop and hatch and we love watching the enjoyment it gives them. They get so excited to learn about the growth and development of the chicks. We will keep some of the chicks at school for a few weeks so the kids can watch them grow. Last years hatch at school was not very good so we bought a new incubator, a Farm Innovators Pro Series circulated air that that keeps track of temperature and humidity with a built in thermometer/ hygrometer . We used it twice last year and had good hatches. We are using the older one (a little giant still air professional) at home and it’s harder to keep the temperature regulated. The one with the built in control is much easier. Once we got the temperature set we haven’t had a bit of problem. It has maintained a perfect 100 degrees and around 60-65% humidity. We are trying to keep the humidity about 60% until the eggs come off the turner. Fingers crossed for a good hatch this year and a room full of happy kids!
Now that we branched out and finally got the ducks we are totally addicted. They are absolutely adorable and so much fun to watch. Eight weeks ago we bought 4 Khaki Campbell’s. We haven’t figured out which sex they all are but at least 2 are loud quackers which is a sign of a hen. I can’t see any physical signs of a drake or male, yet. I’m anxiously waiting for that first duck egg! From what I read they are a good bit larger and taste richer. I’ll let you know when I find out. I’m ready now to get some more ducks. We would like to add dairy goats and bees. Farmer Cheese loves bacon and I did see where someone had pigs for sale the other day, hm. He thinks a pig would be a pet, not food. I wonder what gave him that idea? 😉 Oh well look out world we might not get a pig, but goats and bees you’re next!
It has been said that every other generation will raise chickens. Our parents did not, but our grandparents did. Our children express no interest in raising chickens. Why should they? According to them,they have our eggs so they don’t need chickens. Our grandson however, is our hope for the future. He is our chicken farmer in training. We think he has a great start!
Chickens are fascinating creatures. The picture here is some of our hens playing in the daily “river”. They love it. Here are just a few fun facts about these wonderful feathered friends!
1. Chickens love to play in the water.
2. Chickens are very social. They have dominant hens and roosters also known as the pecking order.
3. Chickens can understand, unlike young children, that once something or someone is taken away that it still exists. This may explain how they know exactly where my treats are kept!
4. The dominant rooster protects the hens and they graze near him for safety. Our roosters and hens have little flocks they seem to travel with.
5. Chickens have different calls that have specific meanings. They sound predator alarms, alert each other to where the food is, call the young, and even have a certain sound after laying an egg!
6. Chickens can recognize many other individual chickens.
7. Chicken mammas show empathy toward their babies.
8. Chickens also recognize humans. Mine hear our footsteps as we head toward them everyday and run to the fence and wait. When they see us, they start running and flying to get out.
My chickens give joy, beautiful eggs and lots of love. And I give them a great home, treats and lots of love too. Sounds like a good deal to me!